Friday 9 November 2018

Year 6 Scientists

What a BRILLIANT Friday!

Year 6 have really enjoyed their morning's learning- today we spent the morning being scientists. We needed to solve a problem: the space scientists at NASA want to keep a pet hamster on their next flight but so far, they haven't been able to identify a suitable hamster bedding- they keep experiencing leaks!

We started by considering the desirable properties of the material and thought about how we could test a range of materials to enable us to compare these properties. Using our developing knowledge of fair testing, we worked as small research teams to plan and carry out investigations to test which materials were the most absorbent.

Some of our methods worked better than others! We learned a lot about fair testing and making some mistakes was useful- we considered our results to evaluate their reliability and repeatability and identified some ways we could improve or extend our investigations.

Keep an eye out for our photos so you can see us in action!

"This investigation was really fun- my favourite part was when my team used the pipettes to squirt water onto the nappy material samples!"

"I thoroughly enjoyed today's lesson: it was different and we were able to collaborate with other students. This lesson helped me to listen to other people- it was great!"

"I really enjoyed today's investigation because it made me realise what I could do better and improve. also, I was able to collaborate with different people and it made me feel like a real scientist!"

"I found the experiment fun today- we conducted the whole experiment from beginning to end in one morning. Working as a group had a big impact on the work; everyone was able to do something related to the task. We got to a very satisfying conclusion as well!"